El Rey Fido FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
El Rey Fido (ERF) is the title bestowed upon the dog that raises the most funds during the fundraising competition. Four runner-up dogs join ERF’s Royal Court, and all five dogs have the honor of being recognized at the ERF Coronation (an official Fiesta® event) on Saturday, April 20, 2024.
All funds raised during the ERF fundraising competition are used to shelter, care for, and medically treat dogs and cats at the San Antonio Humane Society.
All dogs must be 6 months of age or older and up to date on vaccines to participate. For other doggie requirements and rules of conduct, please review the official rules of the ERF fundraising competition!
No, all dogs 6 months of age or older are eligible to participate, so long as they satisfy all requirements and rules of conduct.
Yes! ERF and Royal Court members are ambassadors of the SAHS and its mission. We believe spaying/neutering your pet(s) helps ensure every dog and cat born has a forever home waiting for them. For other doggie requirements and rules of conduct, please review the official rules of the ERF fundraising competition.
Please note: all ERF competition winners will be required to show proof of spay/neuter surgery, registered microchip, and current rabies vaccine at the mandatory meeting on Saturday, March 23, 2024.
While we’ve had the fortune in the past to have two cats on the Royal Court, due to the increasing amount of travel done by ERF and Royal Court to media opportunities and events, we’ve decided that it is in the best interest of our feline fans to make them ineligible to join the ERF fundraising competition. Cats are creatures of habit, and they aren’t overly fond of disrupting their routine—yes, even for Fiesta!
You have the ability to raise funds online, in-person, or through the mail via check. After reviewing the official rules and creating a fundraising page, supporters are able to donate online through participants’ fundraising pages, in person at the SAHS front desk, or through the mail via check. Please note, all checks must legibly indicate which ERF fundraising participant/dog they are donating to!
This is the time for you and your pup to get creative! There are plenty of ways to raise funds for the SAHS, these are just a suggested few:
• Be sure to provide plenty of pictures and information on your dog’s fundraising page! This can include a mini-bio or a list of “Top 10” reasons to support your campaign.
• Utilize social media! Start your dog’s very own Facebook or Instagram fan page! Friends and followers can be easily notified and reminded to donate towards your dog’s campaign. Don’t forget to link to your fundraising page!
• Send a personalized e-mail or postcard from your dog (or doggie campaign headquarters!) to your friends and family, and ask them to help support your mission to raise the most funds for the pets at the SAHS!
• Have a bake sale, a BBQ plate sale, or a rummage sale with all profits going towards your dog’s campaign to raise the most funds for the pets at the SAHS!
• Have an “election” or “campaign” party for your dog and provide access to a computer or Wi-Fi connection where guests can make donations to your dog’s fundraising page.
• Start a collection at work with a donation box decorated with a colorful display of your dog’s photos!
• Make t-shirts, buttons, yard signs, or stickers emblazoned with your dog’s name or photo claiming: “I voted for the next ERF!”
Donate towards participating ERF contenders online at their fundraising page, in-person at the SAHS front desk, or through the mail via check.
Please note: all checks must legibly indicate which ERF fundraising participant/dog you are donating to!
Online and in-person donations must be made and at the SAHS (4804 Fredericksburg Rd) by 6 p.m. Thursday, March 21, 2024.
If your dog is named ERF or a member of the Royal Court, you will be notified on Friday, March 22, 2024 at the contact number you provided to us via email after registering your fundraising page.
Winners MUST attend a mandatory Fitting of the Grr-robes meeting at the San Antonio Humane Society (4804 Fredericksburg Rd) on Saturday, March 23, 2024, and the 22st annual ERF Coronation (9.30-11am) – on Saturday, April 20, 2024 at Hops & Hounds (1123 Avenue B, San Antonio, TX 78215).
ERF and Royal Court members will participate in various media appearances and events as SAHS ambassadors, so we do ask that participants make themselves available during these times!
The ERF Coronation will be held at Hops & Hounds (1123 Avenue B, San Antonio, TX 78215) on April 20, 2024. at 10am.
Donations are not taxed. The online donor site charges a processing fee of 3.5% for VISA/MC/Discover and 3.95% for AMEX for each donation. Donors have the option of paying the processing fee (which is tax-deductible) for the SAHS to allow more funds to go toward shelter programs. Covering this fee for the SAHS is not required. The total amount that the donor is charged will be counted towards their fundraising goal.