Donate and win Spurs Tickets!
Donate ONLINE to the San Antonio Humane Society's El Rey Fido Fundraising Competition and become eligible to win Spurs tickets! Donations must be made towards your favorite fundraising dog between January 22, 2018 and February 22, 2018 to count towards eligibility.
Ready to get your dog on the road to Fiesta® Royalty?
Don’t miss your opportunity to support our pets and become a part of 16 years of San Antonio Humane Society (SAHS) Fiesta tradition!
It all leads to the exciting and festive El Rey Fido Coronation (an official Fiesta® event), where your dog will be decked out in true royal attire. We already spoil our dogs royally rotten - now’s the chance to make it official!
What is El Rey Fido (ERF)?
ERF is the top fundraising dog of the ERF fundraising competition. Four runner-up dogs join ERF in the Royal Court, and all five dogs have the honor of being recognized at the ERF Coronation (an official Fiesta® event) in April.
What happens to the funds raised during the competition?
All funds raised during the ERF fundraising competition are used to help the dogs and cats at the San Antonio Humane Society!
How old does my dog need to be to participate?
All dogs must be 6 months of age or older and up to date on vaccines to participate. For other doggie requirements and rules of conduct, please review the official rules of the ERF fundraising competition!
Does my dog need to be SAHS alumni/an adopted dog to enter?
No, all dogs 6 months of age or older are eligible to participate, so long as they satisfy all requirements and rules of conduct.
Does my dog need to be spayed/neutered to participate?
Yes! ERF and Royal Court members are ambassadors to the SAHS and its mission. We believe spaying/neutering your pet(s) helps ensure every dog and cat born has a forever home waiting for them. For other doggie requirements and rules of conduct, please review the official rules of the ERF fundraising competition!
Please note: all ERF competition winners will be required to show proof of spay/neuter surgery, registered microchip, and current rabies vaccine at the mandatory court meeting in February.
Is my cat able to participate in the El Rey Fido fundraising competition?
While we’ve had the fortune in the past to have two cats on the royal court, due to the increasing amount of travel done by ERF and the Royal Court to media opportunities and events, we’ve decided that it is in the best interest of our feline fans to make them ineligible to join the ERF fundraising competition. Cats are creatures of habit, and they aren’t overly fond of disrupting their routine—yes, even for Fiesta!
We do have our Purr-fectly Fiesta Photo Contest instead! One festive feline will be crowned 2018 King/Queen of the kitty cottage. More contest info TBA in early 2018.
How and where do I raise funds?
You have the ability to raise funds online (Click & Pledge), in-person, or through the mail via check. After reviewing the official rules and creating a fundraising page, supporters are able to donate online through participants’ fundraising pages, in person at the SAHS front desk, or through the mail via check. Please note, all checks must legibly indicate which ERF fundraising participant/dog they are donating to!
Any fundraising tips or tricks?
This is the time for you and your pup to get creative! There are plenty of ways to raise funds for the San Antonio Humane Society (SAHS), these are just a suggested few:
• Be sure to provide plenty of pictures and information on your dog’s Click & Pledge fundraising page! This can include a mini-bio or a list of “Top 10” reasons to support your campaign.
• Utilize social media! Start your dog’s very own Facebook or Instagram fan page! Friends and followers can be easily notified and reminded to donate towards your dog’s ERF campaign. Don’t forget to link to your Click & Pledge fundraising page!
• Send a personalized e-mail or postcard from your dog (or doggie campaign headquarters!) to your friends and family, and ask them to help support your mission to raise the most funds for the pets at the SAHS!
• Have a bake sale, a BBQ plate sale, or a rummage sale with all profits going towards your dog’s campaign to raise the most funds for the pets at the SAHS!
• Have an “election” or “campaign” party for your dog and provide access to a computer or Wi-Fi connection where guests can make donations to your dog’s Click & Pledge fundraising page.
• Start a collection at work with a donation box decorated with a colorful display of your dog’s photos!
• Make t-shirts, buttons, yard signs, or stickers emblazoned with your dog’s name or photo claiming: “I voted for the next ERF!”
How can I donate to the participating dogs?
Support and donate towards participating ERF contenders online at their fundraising page, in-person at the SAHS front desk, or through the mail via check.
Please note: all checks must legibly indicate which ERF fundraising participant/dog you are donating to!
When is the ERF fundraising deadline?
Online and in-person donations must be made and at the SAHS by 6:00 PM Thursday, February 22, 2018.
What happens after my dog wins?
If your dog is named ERF or a member of the Royal Court, you will be notified on Friday, February 23 at the contact number you provided when registering your fundraising page.
Winners must attend the mandatory court meeting on February 24 at 10:00 AM in the SAHS Education Building and the ERF Coronation on April 21.
ERF and Royal Court members will participate in various media appearances and events as SAHS ambassadors, so we do ask that participants make themselves available during these times!
When and where is the ERF Coronation?
The ERF Fiesta Coronation will be held on April 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM at the historic Sheraton Gunter Hotel. It is free of charge and open to the public. Well-behaved dogs accompanied by their owners are welcome to attend and festive attire is encouraged!
Donations are not taxed. The online donor site charges a credit card processing fee of $.35 + 3.75% for each. Donors have the option of paying that fee (which is tax-deductible) for the SAHS to allow more money to go towards programs. Covering this fee for the SAHS is not required. The total amount that the donor is charged will be counted towards their fundraising goal.
Please refer all questions to San Antonio Humane Society staff at fnino@SAhumane.org.
Special thanks to:
Renee Spade Photography, Official El Rey Fido and Royal Court Photographer
Renee Spade Photography is one of Texas’ premiere pet photographers and her work has been featured in San Antonio Magazine, Texas Dog and Cats Magazine, Scene in SA, FHOX Magazine, Sincerely Fido greeting cards, and the San Antonio Express-News. It is her hope that her work brings joy and happiness to animal lovers for many years to come. Renee is a strong animal advocate, and she has worked with the SAHS since 2006 as the official photographer of the ERF fundraising competition.
Cheryl Trevor, Mistress of the Grr-robes
Cheryl designs for and owns the business Furry Tail Fashion, a dog clothing shop that specializes in custom orders. Each year, Cheryl meets and measures our new ERF and Royal Court members and decks them out in their festive and hand-made Royal Grr-Robes. Growing up her Cheryl’s family always included dogs, cats, and birds, and she fondly remembers Duchess, a Basset Hound/Dachshund mix, as a very special family pet adopted from the SAHS. Today, her family includes two Bichon Frise dogs, Rosette and Cherie, who love to help model the dog clothes she designs.
Adam & Jenny from Magic 105.3
Adam & Jenny host the morning show on Magic 105.3 here in San Antonio! Every weekday morning, they get you to work with A LOT of music, fun contests, and the hottest trends in celebrity news! Both Adam & Jenny live in San Antonio with their adopted pets. Adam has two dogs, Murphy & Frasier (SAHS alumni), and Jenny has two cats, Kitty and Catniss (SAHS alumni). For the last two years, Adam & Jenny have proudly teamed up with the San Antonio Humane Society to feature an adoptable pet each week and find them a forever home. While they are music enthusiasts, they are also pet-lovers, and beyond excited to be back hosting El Rey Fido! ¡Viva Fiesta!
Bring your special birthday boy or girl and up to 15 of their friends to celebrate with the animals while helping a great cause. We offer two exciting birthday packages:
Party Animal Package - $200
• Use of Education Room & Courtyard for 2 hours total
• An educational tour of the shelter
• A fun, animal-themed selfie station
• Decorations, including table cloths, banners, and table toppers
• Puppy-themed goody bags for each child
• Time for birthday child to open gifts and eat cake if desired (cake not provided by the SAHS)
Premium Party Animal Package - $300
With the Premium Party Animal Package, you receive everything from Party Animal Package PLUS:
• Use of Education Room & Courtyard for 2.5 hours total
• Choice of 1 item from a list of animal-themed activities or crafts
• Birthday boy or girl will receive a stuffed dog to “adopt” with an Adoption Certificate that can be signed by their party guests
Rules & info for a Paw-sitively Good Time:
• Pre-registration is required; party times are subject to availability. Dates fill up very quickly, so don’t wait to schedule!
• SAHS Postcard-style Party Invitations and Thank-You cards available when you register
• Parties must be reserved and paid for at least two weeks before the desired event date
• You are welcome to bring a birthday cake and food and drinks for your guests
• Parents must sign release forms for all children participating
• Party set-up and clean up occurs 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes after the party ends
• Birthday parties for children 5 and older
• 15 children maximum for attendance
• No pets allowed please
Ready to reserve your party? Fill out the form below or download the registration form.