With the summer months in full swing, many of us will be spending time away from home to visit loved ones or to simply travel the country. While these times will be fun and exciting, we need to think about those who adore us and want to be around us during every moment of every day – our pets. Whether you plan to take your furry companion along, remember that not every situation will be ideal for this option. So think long and hard before you decide to venture on with or without your feline and/or canine. Here are some tips to get you started and help you along the way.
Things to keep in mind:
- How does your companion react around new people?
- Look for a pet-friendly hotel where your pet can stay with you (some may have breed/weight restrictions).
- Research pet-friendly restaurants where your pet can enjoy the atmosphere as well.
- Be a responsible pet owner – make sure to take potty bags in case of an accident.
- If driving to your destination, take a case of water to keep your pet hydrated during stops.
- Pack their normal food to prevent any stomach issues as a result of changing their food along the way.
- Take appropriate gear (e.g. rain coat, life vest, boots, etc.) for your pet based on the weather and planned activities.
If your pet isn’t going along with you:
- If a friend or family member is unable to assist, look for a credible boarding facility and take a tour before finalizing your decision.
- In this case, make sure your pet is up to date with their vaccinations and ask if anything else is required.
- If needed, provide medications, including exact instructions, for your pet.
- To help ease the time away, leave belongings with your scent that will remind your pet of you.
- Provide Veterinarian information in case of an emergency.
Have a safe and fun summer!
Last Updated on Friday, 24 July 2015 09:53